At Boulder Salt® we are honored to continue and expand our support of the Lavaman Triathlon on the Big Island of Hawaii! Boulder Salt® will once again be utilized by the professionals in the medical tent, to treat athletes suffering from dehydration and muscle cramping. It will also be available to race participants on the run course – at aid station 2 & 4, and at the finish line.
Here you will find everything you need to know on how to use Boulder Salt to stay hydrated in the hot hawaiian sun, prevent and eliminate muscle cramps and keep on course to the finish line!
What makes Boulder Salt® different from other electrolyte products?
The body needs a variety of electrolytes(salts) for optimal functioning. Unlike salt tablets and capsules, which are almost purely sodium, Boulder Salt® provides a combination of all of the critical electrolytes: sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. What’s more, they are provided in a ratio that mirrors what naturally exists in the body, which is the key to effectively hydrating, avoiding the consequences of hyponatremia, and preventing and eliminating muscle cramps. Additionally, Boulder Salt does not contain sugar, flavorings or fillers, and each component is of the highest purity available. It’s soft, mellow taste is easy to on the palate and the stomach.
The benefits of Boulder Salt® for triathletes
- Alkaline electrolyte replacement – counteracts acids that build up from the environment, processed foods, and hard workouts.
- Offers superior hydration before, during and after workouts
- Can prevent and eliminate muscle cramps
- Delivers a balanced blend of electrolytes including sodium, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Ratio mirrors what naturally exists in the body.
- Excellent source of magnesium, which plays an essential role in muscle contraction and relaxation. Adequate amounts of magnesium can prevent and eliminate muscle cramps.
- Boulder Salt® is simple to use: you can add it to water for an instant electrolyte source, or your favorite sports drink to up the electrolyte value
- Helps neutralize metabolic acids, keeping muscles functioning properly
- Can settle an upset stomach on and off the course .
- Great for pre-hydrating a few days leading up to the race: add a serving of Boulder Salt® (1/4t) to your water (or other beverages) 2-3 times a day.
- Infinite shelf-life. Safe and stable, even in hot and humid environments. (and our single-serving packets are highly water resistant)
- And when you’re not training and racing, Boulder Salt will serve you just as well at home. It is a nutritionally superior alternative to traditional table salt, sea salt and himalayan salt. It has 40% less sodium per serving and is an excellent source of magnesium. It can be used as a 1:1 replacement in seasoning your favorite foods and in cooking and baking. Due to the alkalinity of Boulder Salt®, we recommend that you do not take a full serving with a high protein meal. The body needs acid to digest protein and Boulder Salt® will neutralize acids.
How to use Boulder Salt® on race day
Boulder Salt® is available in 1 lb bulk bags, and boxes of individual packets. However at the aid station, it will already be mixed in water, and you take/drink it exactly the same way that you grab a cup of water along the course. You are welcome to drink it by itself, add to whatever sports drink is in your water bottle, or refill your bottle with Boulder Salt® in water. The avg concentration will be in a ratio of 1 serving (1/4t.) to 12-16 oz of water, but depending on your sweat rate you can safely take in 2-3 servings per bottle of water. Most athletes are pleasantly surprised that Boulder Salt in water has a pleasantly mild,soft taste. A lot of people comment that they can’t taste it at all in the 1:16 ratio.
Here are the ingredients per serving:
Should you try something new on race day?
We all know the adage on trying something new on race day, but the uniqueness of Boulder Salt® puts it in a class by itself. It only has electrolytes and they are all minerals that our bodies naturally have and need. Nothing extra. No flavorings. No sugar. No calories. If you’d like to try it out prior to your race, stop by our booth at the Lavaman expo at Waikoloa. We’ll have samples of it in water, answer your questions, and you can pick up a couple of packets to use on the bike as well!